Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan


By: Annabel Monaghan
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Genre/Age: YA Contemporary
Pages: 192
Source: ARC from Around the World ARC Tours


Farrah “Digit” Higgins may be going to MIT in the fall, but this LA high school genius has left her geek self behind in another school district so she can blend in with the popular crowd at Santa Monica High and actually enjoy her senior year. But when Farrah, the daughter of a UCLA math professor, unknowingly cracks a terrorist group’s number sequence, her laid-back senior year gets a lot more interesting. Soon she is personally investigating the case, on the run from terrorists, and faking her own kidnapping – all while trying to convince a young, hot FBI agent to take her seriously. So much for blending in…



This book is so HUGELY entertaining and I absolutely loved it! Despite the potentially heavy subject matter of needing to undergo a fake kidnapping in order for the FBI to protect you from dangerous terrorists, it’s a really light, fun read, and I had a huge smile on my face the entire time.

Digit is absolutely adorable and so hilarious, both in her inner monologues and her interactions (particularly with John, the hot FBI agent assigned to protect her) and I couldn’t help but laugh out loud so many times. From her obsession with bumper stickers to her shyness about her crazy math skills, she is such an enjoyable character. And she and John have fantastic chemistry together. I loved watching the development of their relationship and it was so sweet when they eventually got together.

I also really loved Digit’s evolution throughout the book and her gradual acceptance of “Digit” as an important part of herself. Watching her grow in confidence (and particularly John’s role in that growth) was incredibly satisfying and added a subtle layer to what would otherwise be a fairly fluffy contemporary novel.

My one complaint is that this book is so short! I wanted to spend so much more time with Digit. Although I’ve seen rumours that a sequel is in the works, which makes me very happy. :) Be sure to check out A Girl Named Digit when it releases in June; it is pure fun and entertainment and you definitely don’t want to miss it.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog, so pretty!
    Amazing Review!
    I'm looking forward to read this book!
    Have a good weekend!
    Mariana - World of Tori Vega.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too, and I really appreciated the hot FBI guy. It's like when I was a tween and used to dream that Johnny Depp's Officer Hansen from 21 Jump Street would do undercover at my junior high and fall in love with me. Then it switched to Special Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks and then... So you can see why this book was a win for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this book in a few places now so I decided it was time to check it out! Great review and awesome blog!

    New follower here.

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to tell me what you think! I treasure every single comment and I'll do my best to visit your blog in return. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...